Thursday, March 15, 2012

Shepherdress


No, that's not a typo. I said before that wearing it made me feel like a shepherdess...and it's a dress...so my love for horrible portmanteaus demands that I name it the Shepherdress.

It was way too cold outside to take pictures in an unlined dress.
I know, I'm a wimp; it's only 60 degrees and not even snowing.
What can I say, I'm not as awesome as Liz of zilredloh.


Although it doesn't have a lot of green on the actual fabric to speak of, I'd still say this dress is perfect for the Sew Weekly Going Green challenge. See, it's using up stash fabric instead of going and buying new yardage, and that stash fabric is actually a thrifted bedsheet, so it's being repurposed/reused, and I can herd sheep in it (I don't actually know anything about sheep herding), and sheep eat grass, and grass is green, and I'm just going to stop now.

Summary:
Fabric: 50/50 poly-cotton blend sheet
Notions: pale pink piping (picking a peck of pickled peppers!), lots of pale pink seam binding, pale pink 22" zipper
Techniques used: putting in piping, pattern hacking
Hours: 0.5 for the pattern hacking, four for the dressmaking
Will you make this again? I would like to continue refining my pattern hack, but I am definitely going for something that requires less matching!
Total cost: $2 for the zipper, $0.50 for the piping, say $0.50 for the binding, and I'm going to count the fabric as free since it was in stash already, leftover from another project...so $3 total!
Final thoughts: Better than my original dress made from this fabric, but I'm still trying to get over the fact that I didn't realize that I could have put the underbust piping in all at once. Also, I didn't put in pockets since this was a wearable muslin dress, and of course I miss them sorely now. Still, it was a positive experience with pattern hacking!

And just for the fabulous Devra of puusdooroftime, here I am demonstrating that this dress is appropriate attire for herding...errr, wrangling animals (albeit a cat and not a sheep):

WAI U WAKE ME UP FROM MAH NICE NAP 4 DIS

NOOO MOMMY I WANT DOWN NOW

18 comments:

  1. ROFL.
    thank you, walnut, for submitting to the indignity. i love the chance to see the design on you--the fabric is not my favorite of your sheet dresses, but i think the pattern hack is a great one with wonderful details, it flatters, and i look forward to additional refinements.

    you just made my day. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walnut refuses to accept your thanks, for fear that such an acceptance would indicate an acceptance of this type of indignity on a regular basis, of which he is decidedly NOT a fan.

      Yeah, not my favorite sheet, which is why I felt okay using it for an untested pattern.

      Delete
  2. That dress is so cute and springy. I really like the skirt portion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The skirt is just a big gathered rectangle...super easy to cut and sew.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty and as previous poster said, it epitomises Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww your cat is so cute!! How do you find the time to make all these stunning clothes!?!? This looks gorgeous and is perfect for spring. XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walnut graciously accepts your compliments. As do I :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know, right? Can you believe I hold the future of scientific reasoning in my hands via high school students?

      Delete
  6. Love your logic! Have you seen/heard the mad takes on Aristotlean logic? Like Proof that Snow is White and Proof that there is Life After Death? Here: http://danny.sadinoff.com/fun/quotes/choplogic.txt (seriously, that is the only place they exist on the internet!).

    Maybe instead of herding sheep you can herd cats? It looks like the right sort of dress to herd cats in - just mad enough! And darling and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious! I have never heard of either before. And I'll be herding cats this summer!

      Delete
  7. Going all out on matching with a thrifted bedsheet is actually the best idea. Does anyone do muslins to practice matching? The piping and the separate waist piece really make it, I think. Very cute. And nice work on the fit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! I found your white and yellow YIF dress on another site and have been reading posts all afternoon. I really like the dresses you come up with.

    I too have cats that enjoy fabric sitting and generally being a nuisance as they get "involved" in my project. They like chasing scissors as I cut my fabric. I'm a big fan of using thrifted bedsheets for the volumes of cheap fabric they provide. And I can relate to uncertain looks from my significant other as I show him the projects I'm making. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress looks like it could be a Maria dress from my favorite movie, The Sound of Music. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your thoughts! I appreciate reading them and I try to reply to most, if not all, comments, especially when they are questions. I ask that you keep your comments polite, and if you're a spammer, don't bother because your comment will just be deleted! Also, if you're commenting on a post that's more than two weeks old, it will be moderated.